2011 was the 6th year of the NYCI Zambia-Ireland youth worker exchange.
Throughout the following months, NYCI will continue to support those individuals and organisations who participated in the exchange by providing fora for contact and ongoing invovlvement in youth work and development education with young people in Ireland and Zambia. To read some of the participants' experience, read on...
Digi-tales are being used widely by our partner organisations in Zambia. They use a sequence of photos to tell a story along with a voice over and/or music. More 'digi-tales' from Zambia will be available soon on this site!
Currently, anyone involved in the exchange since 2006 is invited to contribute an article to this page, on a particular aspect of the exchange. There is also a Facebook page where participants and others interested in the exchange can be in contact. Current stories available are:
- Hellen the peer educator in a sexual health programme, by Hellen Chaponda (Restless Development, Zambia)
- Darius and his work on the Street Children's project, YMCA Zambia, by Darius Musukwa (YMCA Zambia)
- Moomba presents Grassroots Soccer Skillz, Zambia, by Moomba Mbolongwe (GRSZ)
- Youth work practice in Ireland and Zambia, by Chris Chiwela (Junior Achievement Zambia)
- Reflecting on Zambia, by Senan Gardiner (ex-NYCI) and Martin Ryan (ex-No Name Club)
- The Volunteering Spirit, by Jill Murray Gilmer (ex-Lucan Youth Service CYC)
- Five years later.... by Dick O'Donovan (Foróige)
- Looking for Justice, by Joy Chisompola (International Justice Mission)
- Just the Start, by Tammy Tallon (Ronanstown Youth Service)
- What next? by Himba Malambo (Salvation Army)
- First Impressions, by Noel Carroll (EIL)
Also - Restless Development invites you to participate in the Tikambe: Voice of the Youth Radio programmes every Monday at 14:30 hours local time. The radio show will highlight the pressing issues for young people, and offer local and national decision-makers a public platform to listen to and discuss with young people the changes that should be made to benefit Zambia’s youth. These radio shows will be aired on Radio Phoenix every Monday at 14:30hrs starting 29th August 2011.
If you wish to write a piece about your experience of the exchange, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Group of Zambian participants visit Irish Aid, Limerick during the 2011 NYCI exchange
Group of Irish and Zambian participants in the 2010 NYCI youth worker exchange, Killarney